Beer-Battered Broccoli BitesPrint This
- 1 cup Gold Medal™ self-rising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup regular or nonalcoholic beer
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
In large bowl, mix flour, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, cheese and beer with whisk until smooth. Add broccoli; toss until well coated with batter.
In deep fryer or heavy saucepan, heat 2 to 3 inches oil to 375°F. Fry broccoli in batches 2 to 3 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Serve warm broccoli bites with ranch dressing for dipping.
Self-rising flour works best in this recipe, but if you can’t find it, you can substitute 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Be sure to not crowd the fryer or pan, only frying several florets at a time. Try beer-battering and deep-frying other vegetables, such as green beans, cauliflower florets or zucchini or yellow squash slices.